Wednesday 27 February 2013

Girlfriend Social

I joined Girlfriend Social last week, after reading about other people struggling to make female friends say it's probably the largest online platonic 'dating' site. It's free, which is always a good thing, and there seem to be a lot of people from London on it, this sort of site seems to work best if you live in large cities.
I was a little put off by the design, it's very pink, and the name, but it is American. However, that and all the cheesy pictures did make me wonder how useful I would find the site. It's really easy to set up a profile, and to see other people who are in the same area as you. There is a detailed search option as well, which is easy to use and has hundreds of possible permutations.
The first thing about this site that surprised me was people sending me invites! I tend to assume people think badly of me, possibly stemming from being a teenage goth and regularly getting stuff shouted at me by people at school, on one memorable occasion I had stones thrown at me. It didn't bother me that much, but I do tend to assume people still see me as one of the weird kids hanging out on the beach wearing black. The idea that people would look at a picture of me and a couple of lines of writing and think 'I'd be friends with her' is odd. It's especially odd that the site is women only, I'm very used to the line between friendship and attraction blurring, or being noticed by men who find me attractive, I'm actually a lot less comfortable when it comes to platonic relationships, I'm often unsure how to deal with them.
The second thing about the site that surprised me was that the people sending me friend requests seem to have nothing in common with me. My profile talks about books, a lot, because I have very few other hobbies, so a friend request from someone where their profile says 'I don't really read' is very odd to me. What would we talk about? Also, people with kids, this is probably me being snobby, but I'm not sure how much I want friends with children, I don't have children and won't be for at least the next 10 years, maybe never, I do quite like children but I don't want to spend all of my time talking about them. Though someone who liked the same books and music as me and had children wouldn't be such a problem, but I think it would need to be more than a couple of shared interests.
I was actually a little disappointed, so far I haven't seen any people I think I would really have a lot in common with. I don't really like small talk, I'd much rather talk about what I think is going to happen in A Song of Ice and Fire or why Arrow is really disappointing, so shared interests are as important as chemistry to me. A lot of the girls on the site say they want to do 'girly' things, I'm immediatly put off, I've never thought of myself as girly, though I do like make-up and clothes I prefer books. I'm clearly a snob in many ways, anyone who doesn't spell totally puts me off too, I won't even look at the profile.
I'll keep looking at the site, but I'm not sure that Girlfriend Social is the way for me to meet people. It's a shame, because I am more comfortable online, but I think I'm also more comfortable in a niche setting, I'm more likely to meet people I share interests with in a gig or bar than on a site where the only thing I share with most people is a gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment